Any LASIK procedure consists of two steps:
- CREATING A CORNEAL FLAP
- TREATING THE UNDERLYING CORNEA WITH A LASER
now we shall discuss the above two points in detail…
creating a corneal flap.
Corneal flap can be created either using a blade or using a laser called femtosecond laser. We at BAJAJ EYE CARE CENTRE use the best of technologies for both of the techniques. In BLADE LASIK we create a flap using not a surgical blade but an instrument called automated computerized microkeratome. For flap creation with microkeratome we use the world’s best and trusted MORIA ONE USE PLUS SBK microkeratome which has a capability of producing very thin flaps measuring equivalent to 90 microns. This technique is called SBK LASIK (sub bowmans keratomileusis ). The thinner flap in the range of 90 microns ( 1 mm is equivalent to 1000 microns ) has obvious advantages.
- More residual cornea is left behind thus leaving a thicker residual cornea for a lifelong normal functioning.
- Since the flap is cut at a superficial level it results in a lesser dry eyes postoperatively allowing the patient to resume all his activities no sonnertha the next day onwards.
- Moria one use plus microkeratome produces very smooth flaps almost equivalent to a femto second laser, thus the post operative vision is very good.
- Thinner flaps settle down very quickly with no corneal folds and swelling thus the patient recovers vision almost immediately that is within 15 to 20 minutes postoperatively… a wow factor for SBK lasik. In BLADELESS or BLADEFREE LASIK we are using the most advanced ZEISS VISUMAX FEMTOSECOND laser machine and we take pride in having the first installation in whole of north Delhi for this.
Advantages of FEMTO FLAP on ZEISS machine… hundred percent blade free lasik. Painfree. Very precise and accurate flaps. Fast… IT takes only a few seconds to make a flap. Least expected complications which may occur on other technologies besides Zeiss platform. Flap related complications associated with microkeratomes are minimized or absent with the femtolasik, as it is more precise and more accurate. Femto flaps are more stronger in nature and fit more snugly to the base cornea comparatively.